SALSA VERDE

 


Normally I am a red salsa gal, but I was having a girls' night this week and decided I wanted some variety.  I looked at several recipes online and decided to do my own thing based on years of enjoying and cooking Mexican dishes.  I love the extra layer of flavor chile de arbols add so I knew I wanted to include them even though I didn't find any salsa verde recipes that included them.  They do add a little heat, but what is interesting about this salsa is the first bite or two tastes really hot.  After a few more bites the heat isn't that noticeable because the flavor is the frontrunner.  I had to stop myself from eating it all.  When I took the leftovers to Lauren's for a canasta night she asked me to blog it.  When my picky-eater daughter asks me to blog something I know it's good, so here I go!  It's quick and easy too which is also a plus.

2 chile de arbols, stems removed

1-1/2 lbs tomatillo tomatoes, husks removed and washed

2 lg. whole garlic cloves, peeled 

1/2 medium to large onion left intact

1 whole large fresh jalapeno, stem removed (add a second one if you want even more heat)

2 - 3 TB fresh lime juice *

1/4 c. fresh cilantro leaves

Heaping 1/2 t. table salt (or more to your taste)

1-2 diced avocadoes, optional**

Set the oven to broil.

In a small sauce pan bring salted water to a boil; add the chile de arbols.  Put a lid on and remove them from the heat.  Let this steep at least 15 minutes to soften the chiles.  Set aside.

Spray a cookie sheet with Pam.  Set the tomatillos, garlic, onion, and jalapeno on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven.  Broil 5-7 minutes, checking it every few minutes, until the tops of the tomatillos are somewhat charred.  Flip all the veggies over and broil until that side is also charred, which should take about 5 minutes.  

Remove the chile de arbols from the water and put in your blender; add the cilantro leaves.  Scrape all the veggies, including any juice on the cookie sheet, into the blender.  It's not necessary to peel the tomatillos or jalapeno.  Add the lime juice and salt and blend until smooth.  The best way to judge when it is smooth enough is when the red chile de arbols are finely ground.  Refrigerate a few hours to let the flavors meld before serving.  Refrigerate leftovers.

*The first time I made it I used 3 TB lime juice, and the second time I used 2 TB.  Experiment and see which flavor you prefer.

** I haven't tried it with diced avocadoes but I will add them the next time I am having company and expect it to all be eaten.  The salsa won't keep as long with them in it, so I regularly make it without them.  However, I think they will take this salsa to another level of creaminess with them in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment