NO MAYO COLE SLAW

 

Normally I love cole slaw made with mayo, but sometimes one without mayo is a better option.  Logan smoked a pork butt roast, and I decided this was a good time to try a no mayo recipe.  This Spring Lauren did a book-signing event for Camila Alves McConaughey's children's book Just Try One Bite.  I got to visit with her, and she is such a lovely, down-to-earth lady!  Since her book was about cooking I decided to look up some of her recipes on-line, and I found her No Mayo Cole Slaw recipe.  Her recipe called for a whole head of green cabbage, but since I had on hand a package of shredded cabbage I reduced her ingredients to half except for the apple.  So if you decide you want to shred a whole head of cabbage, just double all the ingredients.  I am so happy to have found a cole slaw that is so tasty and healthier than the ones I usually make!

10 oz. pkg. Angel Hair Coleslaw

1 red apple, skin on, julienned or even grated

1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced

1-1/2 TB chopped fresh mint

1 TB fresh lemon juice

1 TB olive oil

1 t. apple cider vinegar

1 t. white wine vinegar

Salt to taste

If you decide to use a head of cabbage instead of the Angel Hair package, shred the cabbage finely with a mandoline or a sharp knife.  The thinner the cabbage, the better this will taste.  Combine all the ingredients and mix together in a large bowl.  Taste as you go to see if it needs any more acidity, moisture or salt.  It can be served immediately, but it gets better refrigerated for a few hours or overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment