DENNIS'S FIRECRACKER CHICKEN

                            
Scott has a long-time friend who frequently sends him recipes that Scott shares with me.  I made this chicken last night because it was the first night of NFL football, and the idea of having Buffalo Hot Sauce was appealing to me.  Of course, the fact that this is an extremely easy meal pushed it over the top (so I could be ready to watch the game!)  It reminds me of Asian dishes but with a slightly different flavor.  I especially loved how light the batter is on the chicken, almost like a lighter version of a tempura batter.  The sauce was so yummy that my boys told me they wish they had more sauce to eat over their rice, so I went to my handy conversion table that I blogged recently and am blogging 1-1/2 times the amount of sauce. Justin told me to "put this on the regular rotation" which is saying a lot these days of his palate.  Once I make it this way if the boys still want more sauce I will edit the recipe and double the sauce.  It's not as hot as you would think, because Justin has become a bit of a "titty baby" lately in eating spicy dishes and he didn't complain at all about the heat of this dish.  He loved it just the way it is, and so did I.

1-1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 c. cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
3 TB vegetable or canola oil
1/2 c. Buffalo Hot Sauce
3/4 c. brown sugar
1-1/2 TB rice vinegar
1/4-1/2 t. red pepper flakes, or more 
1/3 c. sliced green onions
Cooking spray
Cooked rice for serving

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a 9X13" pan with cooking spray.

Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle the cornstarch over the chicken and toss to coat evenly.  Dip each piece of chicken into the eggs.

Heat the oil, over high heat in a large heavy pan.  Place the chicken in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, working in batches. The chicken will continue to cook in the oven so it isn't necessary for it to be done, just browned. Place the chicken pieces in a single layer in the 9x13" pan.

In a small bowl whisk together the Buffalo Sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and red pepper flakes.  Pour the sauce over the chicken. Stir to cover all pieces of the chicken with sauce.  Bake for 35 minutes, stirring once halfway through to again coat the chicken with the sauce.  Remove from the oven and let sit a few minutes so the sauce will thicken up a bit.

Serve over white rice and top with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment