SAUSAGE AND GREENS WITH CHEESE GRITS

                                        
Knowing how much my boys and I love collard greens I knew I had a winner for dinner.  We were ready for a change of pace, and this combination of andouille sausage, cajun seasoning, and cheesy grits was just what we needed.  I frequently tear recipes out of magazines, and this one didn't have the name of the magazine at the bottom so I have no idea where I got it.  They stack up and eventually one of them catches my eye when I want to make something new.  We were all very pleased with it.  I knew I would love it because I love grits, but I wasn't too sure my boys would love the grits.  They surprised me and really enjoyed them too.  It was definitely a Southern comfort food meal.  

l lb. andouille sausage or your favorite smoked sausage link, sliced
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper (I only had yellow)
1 lb. fresh collard greens*
3 c. chicken broth
1 TB white vinegar
1 t. Cajun seasoning
Cheese Grits (recipe follows)

In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage in batches over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes.  Remove sausage using a slotted soon, and let drain on paper towels, leaving drippings in pot.

Increase heat to medium-high and add onion, celery and bell pepper to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are slightly softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the broth and deglaze the pan to get all the flavorful bits left behind from the sausage.  Stir in the vinegar and Cajun seasoning and then add the greens a little at a time, stirring between each addition.  Add the sausage and reduce heat to medium low.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens reach desired tenderness, 25-30 minutes.  Serve over Cheese Grits.

CHEESE GRITS**

4 c. heavy whipping cream
4 c. water
2 c. quick-cooking grits
1-1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. garlic powder
3 c. shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cubed

In a 4 qt saucepan, bring cream and water to boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in grits, salt, and garlic powder.  Cover and reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, until grits are thickened, about 7 minutes.  Serve immediately and top with collard green mixture and some of the cooked liquid.

*The recipe called for a 1 lb bag of washed and chopped collard greens, so that is what I used.  In those bags are a lot of the thick stems, and they are chewy and overpower the dish.  We found ourselves picking them out while we ate.  I prefer to buy bunches of collards, take out that big stem/vein that runs down the middle, wash and chop them myself.  I will definitely do that the next time I make this dish.

**This makes tons of grits, so you might want to half the recipe for the amount of collards and sausage.  I enjoyed having the leftovers popped in the microwave for breakfast with an egg on top.  If you like grits like I do then make the whole recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment