EASY TOMATO SOUP & GRILLED CHEESE CROUTONS



Electra’s daughter Olivia discovered this recipe, and if you have viewed my blog before you are aware that anything I have posted that came from Electra is extra yummy.  Well Livy has become a fabulous cook herself, and many of the recipes she has given me came from Ina Garten (including this one).  I have never been a big fan of tomato soup, but with the freezing temps we have had this week I decided to give it a try for lunch.  Justin and I could not stop eating this soup!!  I’m serious, it is really, really tasty.  I didn’t read through the crouton recipe, because I had decided to make grilled cheese sandwiches to serve anyway.   After I read the rest of the recipe I served it with the croutons floating on top.  It was even more divine!

3 TB good olive oil
2  yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 c. chicken stock
1 – 28 oz can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
Large pinch of saffron threads
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ c. orzo
½ c. heavy cream
Grilled Cheese Croutons (see recipe)

In a Dutch oven (preferably enameled cast-iron) heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.  Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron, 1 TB salt, and 1 t. pepper.  Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with water; add 2 t. salt, and bring to a boil.  Add the orzo and cook for 7 minutes.  (It will finish cooking in the soup.)  Drain the orzo and add it to the soup.  Stir in the cream; return the soup to a simmer, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.

Serve hot with Grilled Cheese Croutons scattered on top.

GRILLED CHEESE CROUTONS

4 slices country white bread
2 TB unsalted butter, melted
4 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated

If you have a Panini grill, use it.  I don’t.  Brush the bread with the melted butter, being sure to butter the corners.  Turn the slices over and pile gruyere on two of the slices.  Place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the gruyere, buttered sides up.


Grill the sandwiches until nicely browned, using something heavy to mash the top down so the cheese will melt.  (I have a bacon press.)  Flip the other side over so both sides will brown.  Allow the sandwiches to rest for one minute and cut into 1” cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment