COUNTRY COLLARD GREENS

I made these for New Year’s Day along with black-eyed peas, and they were devoured.  I like to mix greens sometimes (see Winter Greens), but my favorite greens are collards.  I also posted another recipe for collards that are not cooked long, which I love.   In this recipe the collards are cooked longer and get much softer, similar to the ones the old-time country cooks used to make.  Both are good, and the more I make these and tweak them the better I like them.  My friend Scott tells me these greens would be on his "last meal" list.  What a compliment!!

Olive oil
4 slices center-cut bacon, diced, optional
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 ham hock
About 2 cups chicken broth
2 TB white, red wine, apple cider or balsamic vinegar*
2 TB light brown sugar
1 TB red pepper flakes
3 bunches collards, rinsed, center vein removed, and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven heat a small amount of olive oil.  If using bacon, cook it until it is shriveled but not crispy.  If trying to be healthier skip the bacon, but the bacon does add another layer of flavor.  Add the onion and sauté it until it is carmelized, adding the garlic in the last couple of minutes.  Put the ham hock in the pan and then deglaze the bacon remains with the chicken broth.  Stir in the vinegar, sugar and red pepper until the sugar is dissolved. 

Add the collards a little at a time, stirring until they begin to soften enough to be able to add more.  Once all the collards have been added, season with black pepper and lightly season with salt because the chicken broth is somewhat salty.  At this point you may need to add more broth but you just want about an inch and half of broth – you don’t want it soupy at all.  Cook the collards about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more broth if they are running out of liquid.

*I have tried all the different vinegars.  Experiment to see which you prefer!  I like them all but lately I have preferred red wine or apple cider vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment