GOULASH



Or as Logan refers to it, homemade Hamburger Helper!  I hadn’t made or had Goulash in at least 20 years, but when our neighbor Patsy had back surgery (and I had already made chicken noodle soup for her) I wanted something easy for her husband Bob to heat up for them that would be filling and comforting.  Kim told me as a child her mom’s go-to dish when someone was sick was always goulash, so I went a-hunting on the internet to remind myself how to make it.  I started with one by Bobby Deen and kinda did my own thing.  In fact the second time I made it I didn’t want to go to the grocery store so I ad libbed even more.  Basically, check your pantry and make substitutions when you don’t have all the ingredients!  This recipe will just give you a starting point.  BTW Bob couldn’t get enough of it – comfort food for the caregiver.

2 lbs. ground beef
2 lg. yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 c. water
2 – 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 – 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 TB Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
3 TB soy sauce
1 t. garlic powder
1 TB seasoned salt
Black pepper and salt to taste
2 c. uncooked elbow macaroni

In a Dutch oven sauté the ground beef over medium-high heat until no pink remains, breaking up the meat while sautéing.  Spoon off any grease.  Add the onions and garlic to the pot and sauté until they are tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the macaroni, and stir well.  Place a lid on the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes.  Add the macaroni, stir well, and simmer covered for about 30 minutes.  Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves, and let sit about 30 minutes more before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment