APPLE TART

 

I have become obsessed with using puff pastry, and Eric told me about these tarts that Ina Garten makes.  They are so easy and quick that I had to try them since JT loves any dessert made with apples. While my side dish for dinner last night was in the oven for 30 minutes, I had time to throw these together -- they are that fast and easy.  JT loved them of course, and I enjoyed it too but am thinking I will add a little cinnamon into my sugar the next time I make them.  I know that's not how the French roll, and Ina considered it so "French", but this old Southern girl likes cinnamon in apple desserts.  I halved this recipe and used one sheet of puff pasty to make 4 instead of 8 tarts since there were only 2 of us, so you can easily do that as well.

2 sheets puff pastry

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced about 1/4' thick

3/4 c. granulated sugar (add cinnamon, if desired)

6 TB unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

3/4 c. Apricot jam

3 TB rum or water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 squares and put on a baking sheet lined with parchment.  Arrange as many slices of apple slightly overlapped on each square tart.  Drizzle sugar over tarts.  Top each tart with cubes of butter and bake about 35 minutes. My oven cooks hot and the sugar charred a little on the outside edges, so just check yours about 30 minutes and go from there.  Ina bakes hers 40 minutes.

Stir the rum or water into the jam and heat it in the microwave until it is syrupy.  Brush it on the tart.  


No comments:

Post a Comment