GREEN RICE

This recipe came from an old Fonda San Miguel cookbook that I tweaked slightly.  It is a nice change from the typical Spanish rice recipe with tomato flavoring and will be my new go-to when I am making a Mexican-flavored meal.  My boys all commented that they liked it a lot.  It was a perfect side dish for the Shrimp Diablo and Chopped Salad without overpowering either.  Venture out from Spanish rice and try it -- I think you will be glad you did!

1/2 c. chopped cilantro leaves

1/2 c. chopped parsley leaves

2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach

1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped

3 c. chicken broth

2 TB canola oil

2 c. long-grain white rice*

1/2 of medium onion, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

Salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a blender, combine the cilantro, parsley, spinach, chile, and chicken broth; blend until smooth.  

In a heavy, 4 qt saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add rice, onion, and garlic.  Stirring often with a wooden spoon, cook for about 8-10 minutes or until rice is turning golden.   Add pureed mixture , reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.  Fluff with a fork and adjust seasoning, adding salt and pepper if necessary.

*I am a huge fan of America's Test Kitchen and recently they tested a variety of long-grain white rice.  They determined that all the rice they tested was good EXCEPT Uncle Ben's Converted Long-Grain rice, so look on the label to be sure you are not getting a converted long-grain rice.  I actually made this with Uncle Ben's because that is what I have always used, but now I am anxious to try other brands.  They said it was rubbery, and I have frequently had issues with rice sticking to the bottom of the pot, so I am hoping changing brands of rice will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment