STRAWBERRY BUTTERMILK PIE

                        
This picture doesn't do the pie justice, but I have been told (ahem Scott!) that you prefer to make recipes from the blog that have pictures.  When I make it again, I will try and get a better picture. Trust me though -- if you love buttermilk pie and you love strawberries like I do, this is a great combination.  I have made it twice this month, and the second time when JT realized I was taking it to KK's for a swim day he requested that I bring him home a piece saying it was his favorite.  The buttermilk portion doesn't have as much sugar as most buttermilk pie recipes have, so if you have a favorite recipe then use that recipe and simply put strawberries in the baked crust first.  I am blogging this the way I found it in the Taste of the South magazine and because JT likes things less sweet.  If I were making it just for myself I would probably use 1-1/4 c. sugar, but then I like things really sweet.  I am very happy with it as it is so I will continue using this recipe.

1 baked pie crust (please don't use the frozen junk in a foil pan!)
1 c. sugar
3 TB all-purpose flour
1/4 t. kosher salt
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. whole buttermilk
1 t. vanilla extract 
Freshly grated nutmeg, optional
1 lb. fresh strawberries, halved
2 TB strawberry preserves, melted
Whipped cream for serving, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and salt.  Add eggs, egg yolk, melted butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. With your zester, lightly grate a little fresh nutmeg in as well.  Whisk all these ingredients until smooth.  Arrange strawberries in the bottom of the baked crust, with the cut side down.  Pour egg mixture over the strawberries.

Bake until set, about 45 minutes, loosely covering with foil during the last 10 minutes or so to prevent excess browning, if necessary.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.  Brush top of pie filling with melted jam.  Serve with whipped cream, if desired and refrigerate leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment