ROSVELIA'S SALSA

Frequently when Rosvelia is here cleaning I pick her brain on Mexican food.  Remember when she taught me how to make corn tortillas?  For JT’s big 60th bday party I wanted a variety of salsas so she made one for me, and I watched and took notes.  It’s really yummy and authentic-tasting, but her version was super hot.  I will list it exactly as she made it, but you will probably want to cut back on the number of Serrano peppers and maybe even the jalapeno peppers like I will do when I make it.  As it is, it is not for the average Texan – JT couldn’t eat very much of it.  Sissy… Actually if I'm being honest it was too hot for me too, but I will never admit that to him!

7 Roma tomatoes
5 Tomatillos, rinsed well after husks have been removed
3 fresh jalapeno peppers (maybe less)
3 fresh serrano peppers (probably less)
3 garlic cloves
Salt

Loosely wrap the tomatoes, tomatillos and peppers in foil and set them on the comal over low heat.  Be sure to seal the foil so the veggies will steam inside it.  About 5 minutes unwrap and turn the veggies as they blacken on the bottoms.  Reseal the foil.  Do this for about 20 minutes, checking to be sure everything has softened a bit.  Pour everything into a blender, including juices that might have been created from the tomatoes.  Add the raw garlic and season with salt.  Barely blend just until all ingredients have been blended.  Taste and probably add more salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment