GRILLED CABBAGE “STEAKS”



If you like cabbage, you will enjoy this version of it.  Leo told me about it while we were grilling chickens, and I decided to try it.  Last night I was grilling my chicken over indirect heat at 300 degrees so I set these on the direct heat and cooked them about 15 minutes, turning them once.  If I was just grilling it I would probably do it at 350 degrees and it might get done a little faster and with a little more brown.  It wasn’t extremely tender, but I really liked the flavor – and also how easy it is for a side dish.  We had to cut it with a knife to eat it, but that didn't really bother us. 

1 head of green cabbage, rinsed with outer leaves removed
Olive oil
Season-all seasoning of choice – I used Uncle Chris’s Gourmet Steak Seasoning by Fiesta

Slice the cabbage into “steaks” about 1” thick.  Brush olive oil on both sides or spray them heavily with a spray olive oil if you have it.  Heavily season both sides.  Put them directly on the grill or on a grill pan.  The trick will be to keep them from falling apart, hence one reason for slicing them so thick.  Once the bottom has browned a bit, carefully flip them over until the other side has browned.  I cooked them about 15 minutes at 300 degrees, but if you like your cabbage more tender you might want to cook them a little longer or at a higher heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment