BUFFALO CHICKEN BALLS


Lauren says this is her recipe -- Eric says it was Lauren's recipe originally but he is the one that always makes them so it is really his recipe.  Mama isn't gonna get involved in that!  The bottom line is that they are fabulous.  I used 2 chickens and doubled the recipe so I would have plenty and each time I served them everyone went crazy for them.  I made them early in the day, kept them uncooked, covered in the frig and fried them just before serving.  They were tasty at room temp as well.  The leftovers were refrigerated and reheated in the oven the next day and were almost as wonderful as they were right out of the deep fryer.  I also left some unfried in the frig til the next day, and they fried up perfectly.  Served with blue cheese dip that is drizzled with more Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, they are so much easier, less messy, and less greasy than wings -- even the wing lovers liked them better!

1 rotisserie chicken, deboned and shredded
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 c. either blue cheese or Monterrey jack -- I used grated Gouda in one batch.
1/2 c. Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce (not just Frank's hot sauce)
1 egg, beaten
Flour
2 eggs beaten and stirred into whole milk
Panko bread crumbs
Peanut oil for frying

In a bowl stir together the shredded chicken, cheeses, Buffalo sauce and egg.  Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.  Make the mixture into golf-size balls.  (One chicken makes about 24 balls.)  Roll into flour, dip into the egg/milk liquid and roll in bread crumbs.  Put on a cookie sheet and cover tightly with saran or Press N Seal (my favorite!).  Refrigerate until ready to fry.  Hint -- I always refrigerate anything I have battered that I am going to deep fry.  It helps keep the batter adhered to it. 

Deep fry a few at a time (my Fry Daddy holds about 5 easily) until they are golden.  Set on a paper towel to drain.   You may leave ones unfried in the frig overnight if you choose.  If you fry them all and have leftovers, refrigerate them in a ziplock bag and heat them in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with blue cheese dip, ranch dip, or more Buffalo Wing Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment