COCONUT ICE CREAM



Our beloved Blue Bell Ice Cream is off the freezer shelves with no promise of a return any time soon.  It’s summer, and we want ice cream dammit!!  We tried tons of brands and nothing really came close to making us happy.  Growing up in the country (before Blue Bell) my mama made homemade ice cream probably once a week so I decided to make my own.  Mom did at least have the electric freezer, but it was still a hassle keeping ice and rock salt in it and cleaning up the mess afterward.  So I bought one of the “new-fangled” kind that you freeze the bowl and then set it on the countertop and plug it in.  I am still experimenting with it to get it frozen properly, but most of the recipes I have used recommend freezing it in a container for a few hours after making it anyway, so basically I have been looking for a recipe that tastes good and has a good consistency after it has been frozen.  Everyone in my family is crazy about coconut so I tried this recipe, and it did make me happy!  Scott thinks it would be even better with some slice almonds in it to give it crunch so I will try that next time.  I am also considering adding fresh toasted coconut flakes in just before freezing.  (The ones used in the recipe get soggy and lose their crispness so it's best to strain them out.)  It does have a very intense coconut flavor, so if you are a coconut lover like we are you will be happy too!!

2 c. whole milk
2 c. heavy cream
2 c. coconut milk
1 c. toasted coconut flakes
8 egg yolks
1-1/2 c. sugar
Pinch salt

Bring milk, cream, coconut milk and coconut flakes to simmer in a heavy saucepan for a few minutes.  Turn off flame, cover it with a lid and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile whisk the rest of the ingredients together long enough  to dissolve the sugar.

Temper the hot liquid into the egg mixture.  Return all back into the saucepan over low heat, constantly stirring, just until the mixture starts to thicken.   Don’t let it bubble or it will curdle.  Strain through a fine mesh strainer.  Chill immediately over an ice bath.  Refrigerate several hours or overnight so that it is extremely cold before putting it in the ice cream maker.

Put the ice cream in a plastic container and freeze several hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment