ASIAN GROUND TURKEY (FOR USE IN A SALAD OR LETTUCE CUPS)

Are you as tired of grilled chicken salad as I am?  This is my new favorite meat to add to my salad, and normally I am not a ground turkey fan at all.  I got the recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen since she blogs South Beach recipes.  However, I am putting it on the blog because I will make this whether I am dieting or not.  The first time I made it I ate it in a lettuce cup, and the next time I used it in a salad.  Either way it is larapin (my mother’s favorite word to describe something extra yummy!)  So Sunday afternoon make your ground turkey concoction and you will have enough for lunch for the whole week.  Trust me, if you like Asian food you will be thrilled with this salad!

1 TB peanut oil
3 TB minced red onion or shallots
2 TB minced garlic
2 TB grated ginger root
20 oz. pkg ground turkey
4 TB soy sauce (I used light soy)
1 TB chile garlic sauce (or more if you like spicy foods)
1 t. fish sauce
1 c. chopped cilantro

Prepare the onion, garlic, and ginger and set aside.  Wash and chop fresh cilantro and set it aside. 

Heat the oil in a large frying pan; add onion and sauté about 2 minutes then add garlic and ginger and sauté about one minute more.  Add ground turkey (with a bit more oil if needed) and break apart and spread out, then add soy, garlic sauce, and fish sauce.  Cook until the turkey is brown and crumbling apart, and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.  When the turkey is done add the chopped cilantro and cook 1-2 more minutes.

FOR LETTUCE CUPS:

Boston lettuce, butter lettuce, romaine or iceberg lettuce
Chopped peanuts
1 avocado, diced, optional

Spoon the turkey into a leaf of lettuce and sprinkle with peanuts and avocado if desired.  Fold lettuce leaf over like a taco.

FOR SALAD:

Mixed lettuce greens
Shredded cabbage
Chopped peanuts
½ of a small avocado, diced
Paul Newmans Lowfat Sesame Ginger Salad dressing

Combine the greens and cabbage (I prefer mostly cabbage).  Spoon about 1/5 of the ground turkey (about ½ c.) over it.  Sprinkle with the peanuts and avocado and drizzle the salad dressing over it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment