CREAMY POLENTA

I served this as the base for the beef dish I made for canasta night.  I am so glad to have an alternative to rice or pasta!  I had never made polenta before so I researched and found this one that is made in the crock pot and stays creamy.   Most recipes require standing over it and stirring it constantly while it cooks, which is inconvenient when you are having company.  It turned out perfectly and was rich and creamy.  Several reviewers suggested doubling the recipe because it was too small an amount for a crockpot, so I did that and am listing the amounts below as I used them.  I think half a recipe wouldn’t really be enough anyway and leftovers could be eaten heated for breakfast with a fried egg over them – yum!

2 c. whole milk
2-2/3 c. half and half, divided
4 TB butter, divided
2/3 c. coarse polenta
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 c. grated Parmesan

Spray the insert of a crock pot with cooking spray (for easier clean up) and preheat on high.

In a medium saucepan, add the milk, 2 c. half and half, 2 TB butter and polenta.  Season with salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly to keep the mixture lump-free.  Boil for 2-3 minutes.  Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and turn the setting down to low.  Cook for 2 hours, stirring once or twice per hour.  Once you are ready to serve, whisk in the remaining 2 TB butter, remaining 2/3 c. half and half, and Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment